12.05.2007

I'm back........

Just got back from a whirlwind tour of Kenai.
I was privileged to take the St. Mary's boys basketball team over for the A.C.S.A.A. tournament. WOW! It was a great set of games. We lost the first game to the hosting team and had to battle our way back to the finals bracket.
The guys played hard for six games over two days. Our last attempt at the finals ended in a two point loss, leaving us in 3rd place overall.
If you ever want to experience the will to win, I would recommend coaching a team like ours. These boys played a game, rested an hour and played the next, until they could not run any more.
If you ever played team sports then you know the old mantra of 110%; well let me tell you, the team gave that and more!
I am as proud of them as they are of their trophy.
Our girls team walked in and took 1st, defeating an undefeated team not once, but twice. Hats off to them and coach Ferris!
I am blessed to have had a season filled with these young athletes, and I look forward to next season!
An aside......
I have gained a lot of personal growth from my volunteer activities in our community. Whether it is coaching, reffing, or the volunteer fire dept. I have met and gotten to know a lot of folks that my life would have been devoid of otherwise. I am richer for it.
There a only so many hours in a day, so many days in a week, or so many breaths in a life. None of us can honestly say that we have time, in our hectic lives, to volunteer.
A good friend of mine once said, " We don't have time to volunteer, we make time".
He is correct, and every day I try to remember that. Once I thought, "what am I teaching my children?", is it that I am to busy for them?
Nope, now three grown women and a teenage boy later, I have been reminded that I showed them the importance of giving back.
We are fortunate to be here, it is our responsibility and duty to leave this place a little better than it was when we drew our first breath.
What else is the true measure of success?
Good Night,
Peace
G.

No comments: