3.17.2012

A-mhaith a bheith Gaeilge.



Today is one of my favorites, no doubt. Where I grew up it is a day of joyous and somtimes excessive celebration.
As a child of Boston it was shepards pie, corned beef, and green cupcakes all day long. It was being uber careful to make sure my wearing o' the green was plainly visible as to avoid that dreaded pinch.
It was Sister Patricia gently telling my first grade class the true story of St. Patrick. Her version was a tale of hardship, amazing adventure, and indelible faith. It left a mark on my very soul and later in life, when times seemed harsh, it gave me strength.
Even as I grew older and began the more steriotypical practices we Irish have been assigned, I took time to quietly reflect on the man that changed an entire nation and in doing so saved its soul. No weapons, no economic sanctions, just simple and strong faith. Perhaps some of todays leaders could learn from that.
Sitting here now, with the Dubliners playing, I think on some great memories from past St. Patty's.
My first kiss from a girl who used that day to reveal her crush and caused my first blush.
The times in Southie that were crazy nights and occasional drunken fights.
Teaching my children the Unicorn Song and how to be Irish strong.
That night in Portland enjoying the music and on my arm; my beautiful wife.
Ybor City and the crushing crowds, Eric and I so drunk and so loud.
The day in Ayre where the Scot's showed honor for one not theirs.
Cooking and sippin' all day with me son-in-law and learning much along the way.
There are far more memories and some yet to be made. So get out there, learn the music, celebrate a culture that endures. A people that beat the Roman Empire and has since populated the world.
First though, take a moment to reflect on the person who this day honors. Maybe even read up on him, for it is truly an amazing story.
Bí bródúil agus a bheith láidir.
Bí an chreidimh soladach.
Dia libh go léir.

No comments: